My name’s Alfie Goodrich. I am a British freelance photographer and photography educator, based in Tokyo. I travel throughout Japan for work and occasionally abroad.
There are loads more articles and photos about Japan at my Japanorama website, here.
In 2015, it was my honour to be made a Hasselblad Ambassador. Read more about the Hasselblad announcement here. You can also see a few shots and read a little more about my year here.
In early 2015, I had the honour of serving as official photographer to HRH The Duke of Cambridge during the occasion of his official visit to Japan. You can see a selection of the photos here, at the Flickr page of the British Embassy in Tokyo. There is a post on this site, featuring some of the photos, here.
I recently started presenting a travel programme for NHK World television. You can find the first three shows here:
Haterumajima, Okinawa Islands
I started taking pictures aged seven and had my first photos published in 1991. From 1991 until 2001 I worked in the music business in the UK, as Press Director for Nimbus Records and then as General Manager for Black Box Music in London. During that time my music photography was published in magazines and newspapers across the world. I also photographed Peter Gabriel’s WOMAD Festivals for some years and in 2002 was chief photographer and photo editor for the official website of Glastonbury Festival. In 2002 I started my own graphic and web-design business in the UK. Since moving to Japan I do less of that and concentrate 99% of my time on photography. I work in Japan as a commercial photographer and photojournalist. I am freelance and work for a range of commercial, private and editorial clients.
As well as shooting, I teach photography in Tokyo and currently have about 600 students on my mailing list. As well as frequent one-to-one lessons with students all over Tokyo, I organize weekly workshops and photowalks. Find out more about lessons here and about the photowalks and tours I organise, here.
My commercial work gets commissioned by clients for various uses; their corporate websites, anniversary books, annual reports and brochures, signage and in their business premises for display as prints and large-scale murals. I also shoot commercial portraits & publicity photos for a variety of commercial clients, artists and musicians. There is a page on my Japanorama website with some more info about the work I do for clients, with some samples of work.
Clients for my photography have included…..
- [World] Haneda Airport [TIAT], AMG Mercedes, Advertising Week, Porsche, TIME Magazine, Wall Street Journal, The International Monetary Fund, The International Development Bank, Barclays Capital, Deutsche Bank, DB-Schenker, Hasselblad, Getty Images, Shell Oil, Johnson & Johnson, Advertising Week, TED, Tommy Hilfiger, Microsoft.
- [UK] Redwood Publishing, The Royal Household, The Official Ferrari Magazine, Rugby World Magazine, Digital Photographer magazine, BBC Music Magazine, Classic fM Magazine, Songlines Magazine, The Independent newspaper, Gramophone Magazine, Glastonbury Festival, WOMAD Festival, Nimbus Records, Black Box Music, BBC Online, Wayfarers Travel.
- [Japan] Japan Tourist Board (JTB), DMG-Mori, Google Japan, You Tube, Housing Japan, The British Embassy in Tokyo, Tokyo International Air Terminal, Haneda Airport, Toshiba, Schenker-Seino, Mazda, Lexus, Toyota, Otsuka Pharmaceuticals, Eisai Pharmaceuticals, TedXTokyo, Japan Airways, Jetstar Asia, Air Asia, Subway Japan, Lamborghini, Ferrari, UD Trucks, Eurobiz magazine, Servcorp Inc, Nile’s Nile magazine, Cuisine Kingdom magazine, Gourmet Magazine, Metropolis Magazine, Tokyo Chiropractic College, JapanToday, Japan National Tourist Organisation, The Govt. of Japan’s “Highlighting Japan” magazine, Yokohama Country and Athletic Club, Tokyo American Club.
- [Scandinavia] Hasselblad, Plaza/Uomo Magazine, SAS Airlines Magazine, SAS Airlines PR Dept, Shisa Brand [Faroes], Hon Magazine [Faroes].
- [Korea] The Korea Herald
- [Mexico] Accent Magazine, TIME Publishing, Travel & Leisure Magazine
- [The Netherlands] KLM Airways
- [Malaysia] Air Malaysia
- [China] Cathay Pacific Airlines, South China Morning Post, ELLE Magazine, Parents magazine
- [Brazil] Digital Photographer magazine
- [Italy] Ferrari, The Trip magazine, La Repubblica newspaper, Working Style Magazine, La Reppublica
- [USA] Advertising Week, United Airlines “Hemispheres” magazine, Travel and Leisure Magazine, Northwestern University, The Trip magazine, TIME Magazine, Wall Street Journal, Ellipsis Arts Music, Berkeley University, World Music Magazine, Dirty Linen Magazine, The Mamiya Blog
- [Canada] Canadian Automobile Association Magazine
- [France] Le Monde de la Photo
- [Australia] Auto Salon Magazine, ANZ Bank, Pearson Publishing Group, Australia Post
- [Singapore] Torque Magazine, The Singapore Land Transit Authority, INK Publishing
- [Taiwan] Renaissance Magazine
Some interviews with me:
- DP Review did an interview with me in 2015/16 which you can see here.
- I was interviewed a couple of years ago for the ephotos.com online photography magazine. Click here to visit that article.
- There’s also a video interview with me here, by HDR specialist Trey Ratcliff – who I helped run a Tokyo workshop for in 2010.
- The recent feature on me and my work in Digital Photographer Magazine [UK, Brazil and France] is here..
My photoblog is here but it’s a bit out of date, sorry.
Thanks to everyone who voted for my photoblog in the Photoblog Awards; I made it to the runner’s-up list in the Asian category in 2008, received an honorable mention in 2009 and narrowly missed winning the overall title of Best Asian blog in 2010, 11 and 12.
A note about copyright: Please do not use my pictures without emailing me or contacting me first. That’s all I ask as I usually say ‘yes’ to any non-commercial usage of my work on the internet and am very approachable. So, please ask me first as I have had some bad experiences with work being taken without the people having asked first. It’s not good manners and it annoys me.